Do we accept section 8/housing vouchers?

YES! We accept ALL forms of housing assistance.

Income qualifications

Thurston County Housing Authority:
If you receive a voucher from the Thurston County Housing Authority, no additional income needed. Your voucher will need to be equal to or more than the monthly rental rate
All other Housing Assistance Programs:
Other counties and housing assistance programs may have other requirements or regulations. We will contact your housing assistance case manager to verify their requirements.
Per Washington State RCW 59.18.255;
If a landlord requires that a prospective tenant or current tenant have a certain threshold level of income, any source of income in the form of a rent voucher or subsidy must be subtracted from the total of the monthly rent prior to calculating if the income criteria have been met.

What sources of income are accepted?

ANY! As long as it is legal and verifiable.

What if my source of income or assistance is temporary/short term?

All applicants must meet HPM’s income requirements. Applicants ANNUAL gross income must exceed 3 times the ANNUAL rent amount. Example: If you have rental assistance for only 3 months, you must have another source of income that will ANNUALLY qualify you past those 3 months. HPM’s standard lease term is 12 months, however we can request a short term lease with the homeowner on a case by case basis.

What if my voucher/assistance is not through the Thurston County Housing Authority?

We work with other counties Housing Authorities and all other assistance programs. We require a copy of your voucher or assistance documentation with your rental application. HPM will contact your case manager to verify rent assistance details.

Do I qualify to rent a home that is more than my voucher amount?

If your voucher is through the Thurston County Housing Authority, No. You are only qualified to rent a home that is equal to or less than your voucher amount. We will call your case manager at the Housing Authority to verify your voucher amount at the time of application.

When would I need to pay move in costs?

You will be required to pay first month’s rent and security deposit on or before your lease start date. The lease start date will begin when we receive your rent from the housing authority.

What if I don’t have a computer or credit card to apply online?

If you do not have a computer, online applications can also be completed from most tablets and cell phones. You may also use the computers at the public library or our courtesy customer computer in our office to complete your application.
If you do not have a credit card, please contact our office for further instructions.

Rental process for applicants with Housing voucher.

  • Applicant must review our application approval guidelines before applying.
  • Applicant must complete rental application and provide Housing Authority Case manager name and phone number.
  • HPM will call housing case manager to verify assistance amount and home size applicants are qualified for before processing application.
  • Applicant must provide HPM with Housing Packet within 24 hours of completing online application.
  • HPM will process and either approve or deny your application. If denied you will be notified. If approved, please continue with following steps.
  • HPM will complete housing packet.
  • Applicant will sign and pick up completed housing packet from HPM within 24 hours after receiving application approval.
  • HPM will make copy of signed housing packet and fax to Housing Authority.
  • Applicant will take completed packet to Housing Authority Office.
  • Housing will process packet.
  • Housing will call HPM to schedule inspection.
  • After inspection is completed and move in costs are paid in full, HPM will send lease to applicant for electronic signatures.
  • After applicant has signed lease, they will stop by HPM office to pick up keys and copies of lease documents.
  • HPM will send copy of signed lease and M/I documents to housing authority.