Hometown’s comprehensive Full-Service Management package will afford the property owner complete piece of mind, anticipating every need and handling every detail. Our professional staff will ensure that your property remains in optimum condition, your renters receive timely attention and services, and you stay informed every step of the way.
Not every residential property can become a rental. Each home has its own unique set of conditions and criteria which will determine whether or not it is appropriate and ready for occupancy. From a leaky faucet to the home’s structural integrity, Hometown’s property management team conducts a detailed assessment of each property to determine:
- its strengths and weaknesses
- the areas and/or items that need to be updated or repaired
- the home’s potential as a source of rental income
- the optimal price point that will position it to be competitive in the market
- whether the home will enable its owner to realize his or her investment goals
Advertising Your Rental Home
To successfully promote your property, Hometown Property Management employs a variety of advertising and marketing tools, from on-site signage to on-line resources, local print media to our expanding network database. In fact, the web site you are viewing right now has been optimized to position it at the top of all related search vehicles to ensure that prospects will see your home first! Working on your behalf, our goals are to:
- maximize marketing efforts
- represent your property to its best advantage
- attract the greatest number of potential applicants
- minimize the duration of vacancies between occupants
- continually explore emerging and innovative advertising strategies
Back at the House …
We’re getting busy there, too. As careful as your last renters were, a home will always show better – and rent faster – if it is clean and fresh and shows no visible signs of major wear and tear. After a property is vacated, Hometown’s own maintenance team will go into the home and do whatever needs to be done – painting, repairs, carpet cleaning, etc. – to bring it up to move-in condition. When all work has been completed, the property will be thoroughly inspected and certified as move-in ready for your next tenant.
Showing Your Property
As soon as our marketing efforts begin generating interested prospects, Hometown’s knowledgeable leasing agents will begin to show your property, working around your schedule whenever possible. To help prospective tenants make good choices for themselves and their families, each showing includes:
- a brief introduction, if needed, to the neighborhood and surrounding community
- a guided walk-through accompanied by a summary of the basic features of the home, e.g., square footage, maintenance considerations, pet restrictions, community amenities, and appliance inclusion packages
- an overview of the benefits the property offers, e.g., a pretty view, good-sized rooms, updated kitchen, handicapped accessibility, proximity to schools, and more
- ample opportunities to address specific, individual needs and questions
At Hometown, we believe that in-depth screening of prospective tenants is the cornerstone of successful property management. In order to ensure each candidate’s suitability as tenants, we employ a third party, AppFolio Property Manager, who provides nationwide background and investigative reports. AppFolio Property Manager evaluates Hometown’s rental applicants – with their knowledge and consent – by collecting data that includes their:
- income and employment information
- credit rating
- criminal background, if any
Hometown staff understands the importance of having qualified tenants living in your home. We take seriously our responsibility to find renters who will treat it respectfully, will honor your requirements and restrictions, and will be able to meet their monthly payment obligations on a consistent and reliable basis.
This is where decades of experience give us an advantage. Our leasing agreements, which were initially developed and are continually refined by Hometown’s trusted legal advisors, are thorough, up-to-date with current laws and requirements, and inclusive of all required documentation and addendums as applicable. Included in every leasing agreement is an in-depth property inspection report and certification showing the home is in move-in condition.
Rent Collection and Distribution of Funds
Of course, our job isn’t done until rent monies are collected and your funds are paid to you, and Hometown Property Management strives to make this process a convenient and streamlined one for all parties. We offer a range of payment options to residents; rents can be paid using personal checks, cashier’s checks, or money orders. We also can set up an on-line payment option.
Once we receive rent payments, our finance staff applies any funds needed to cover services that may have been or need to be performed on your property.
(Property owners can view the up-to-date service status of their homes through our 24/7 on-line portal).
After fees and services have been paid, all remaining funds are distributed directly to the owner through an electronic funds transfer, which we set up with the owner’s bank. The property owner is sent a monthly accounting statement as well as a quarterly status update and an end-of-year report.
While our system has proven effective and our residents are rarely in arrears, problems do occasionally arise in the process of collecting rent payments. Hometown makes every effort to enforce the terms of your leasing agreement to ensure that rent is paid on time. In the event that a formal collections process is needed, we initiate those services on your behalf and remain in close contact with the collection agency until the problem is resolved and all funds are received in full.
Property Maintenance and Inspections
The management team at Hometown believes that maintaining your property is one of the most critical roles we fill. We are your ‘eyes and ears’ when it comes to protecting your investment. When your property is in disrepair, no one wins. But it is to everyone’s benefit – resident, owner, neighbors, and management company – to keep your home safe, sound, attractive, and functioning optimally. Our comprehensive maintenance service package consists of:
- thorough property inspections before, during, and at the conclusion of each occupancy
- courteous representatives handling the intake and processing of tenant complaints
- identification and timely completion of needed repairs
- an in-depth annual visit to the property to inspect the roof and gutters, to determine if the home needs painting, to see that the yard is being maintained well, etc.
End-of-Year Tax Packet
A final – and much appreciated – benefit of the Full-Service Management package is the comprehensive tax packet you receive at the end of each calendar year. Included in the packet are:
- Hometown Property Management Year-End Report, with a breakdown of income and expenses along with support documentation
- IRS 1099 form
As a valued Hometown client, you will be kept fully informed regarding the finances associated with your property. Our goals are to help you understand the fiscal aspects of your investment and to make it easy for you to remain current with your tax obligations.