Effective September 30, 2018, Hometown Property Management has changed our approval guidelines to be in accordance with Washington State RCW 59.18.255.

Application Approval Guidelines

Click on each section below for more information or download the Application Approval Guidelines.

Making Application on a Home

  • Each resident over the age of 18 must submit a separate rental application including married couples. Your rental application will be good for 30 days and cost $35 per application.
  • Our application process is completed online and requires a credit card to make payment. If you do not have a credit card or access to a computer, please contact our office.
  • You will also be required to provide a copy of a valid government-issued form of identification, proof of income, and pictures of any pets or assistance animals with your application. An application submitted without this information will be considered incomplete.
  • Completed applications are processed on a first come, first serve basis. All applications are time stamped and will be processed immediately when in first position. Back-up applicants will have 24hrs to respond once in first position before moving on.

Income Requirements

  • Annual Gross Income must equal or exceed 3 times of the annual rent amount.
  • Income verification is required with your application. An application submitted without income verification will be considered incomplete.

Pet and Assistance Animal Policy

  • HPM requires the following information about your pet or assistance animal at the time of application: breed, weight, age, and a picture of the animal. An application submitted without this information will be considered incomplete.
  • Please see a list of restricted breeds on our website.
  • If you have an assistance animal, you will additionally need to provide a letter from a medical professional along with HPM’s Request for Reasonable Accommodation which is available on our website or upon request.

Section 8

  • The following information applies to Thurston County Housing Authority. HPM works with and accepts vouchers from other Housing Authorities and other Assistance Programs. Each Housing Authority/Program has their own specific regulations and requirements. Applicant must notify and provide documentation of specific assistance program at time of application.
  • If you are using a housing voucher, contact information for your case manager is required with your application.
  • The rent amount must not exceed your voucher amount.
  • Once approved, you will have 24hrs to provide a housing packet for HPM to fill out. You will have an additional 24hrs to deliver the packet to Thurston County Housing Authority.

Once applicant is approved

  • If the home is vacant, the lease must be signed, and first month’s rent and deposit paid within 2 business days.
  • If the home is occupied, the holding fee must be paid within 2 business days and the lease signed within 2 business days of the availability date.
  • If you have Section 8, your lease start date will be determined by the Housing Authority providing the first month’s rent.

Housing Assistance FAQ’s

Click on each section below for more information or download the Housing Assistance FAQ’s.

Do we accept section 8/housing vouchers?

YES! We accept ALL forms of housing assistance.
Income qualifications:
Thurston County Housing Authority:
If you receive a voucher from the Thurston County Housing Authority, no additional income needed. Your voucher will need to be equal to or less than the monthly rental rate
All other Housing Assistance Programs:
Other counties and housing assistance programs may have other requirements or regulations. We will contact your housing assistance case manager to verify their requirements.
Per Washington State RCW 59.18.255;
If a landlord requires that a prospective tenant or current tenant have a certain threshold level of income, any source of income in the form of a rent voucher or subsidy must be subtracted from the total of the monthly rent prior to calculating if the income criteria have been met.

What sources of income are accepted?

ANY! As long as it is legal and verifiable.

What if my source of income or assistance is temporary/short term?

All applicants must meet HPM’s income requirements. Applicants ANNUAL income must exceed 3 times the ANNUAL rent amount. Example: If you have rental assistance for only 3 months, you must have another source of income that will ANNUALLY qualify you past those 3 months. HPM’s standard lease term is 12 months, however we can request a short term lease with the homeowner on a case by case basis.

What if my voucher/assistance is not through the Thurston County Housing Authority?

We work with other counties Housing Authorities and all other assistance programs. We require a copy of your voucher or assistance documentation with your rental application. HPM will contact your case manager to verify rent assistance details.

Do I qualify to rent a home that is more than my voucher amount?

If your voucher is through the Thurston County Housing Authority, No. You are only qualified to rent a home that is equal to or less than your voucher amount. We will call your case manager at the Housing Authority to verify your voucher amount at the time of application.

When would I need to pay move in costs?

You will be required to pay first month’s rent and security deposit on or before your lease start date. The lease start date will begin when we receive your rent from the housing authority.

What if I don’t have a computer or credit card to apply online?

If you do not have a computer, online applications can also be completed from most tablets and cell phones. You may also use the computers at the public library or our courtesy customer computer in our office to complete your application.
If you do not have a credit card, please contact our office for further instructions.

Rental process for applicants with Housing voucher.

  • Applicant must review our application approval guidelines before applying.
  • Applicant must complete rental application and provide Housing Authority Case manager name and phone number.
  • HPM will call housing case manager to verify assistance amount and home size they are qualified for before processing application.
  • Applicant must provide HPM with Housing Packet within 24 hours of completing online application.
  • HPM will process and either approve or deny your application. If denied you will be notified. If approved, please continue with following steps.
  • HPM will complete housing packet.
  • Applicant will sign and pick up completed housing packet from HPM within 24 hours after receiving application approval.
  • HPM will make copy of signed housing packet and fax to Housing Authority.
  • Applicant will take completed packet to Housing Authority Office.
  • Housing will process packet.
  • Housing will call HPM to schedule inspection.
  • After inspection is completed and move in costs are paid in full, HPM will send lease to applicant for electronic signatures.
  • After applicant has signed lease, they will stop by HPM office to pick up keys and copies of lease documents.
  • HPM will send copy of signed lease and M/I documents to housing authority.

Pet Policy

Click on each section below for more information or download the Request for Reasonable Accommodation.

Pet Policy

Pet Information HPM requires the following information about your pet at the time of application: breed, weight, age, and a picture of the pet. If you are able to provide any additional information such as if they are fixed or declawed, this can help expedite the approval of your pets with the homeowner.
Pet Approval HPM and/or the homeowner must approve all pets. If your pet is approved, typically you will be charged $30 pet rent per month per pet. However, some owners prefer to charge a larger pet fee or pet deposit upfront. It is at the discretion of the homeowner to decide.
Restricted breeds HPM expressly forbids the following dog breeds including but not limited to: Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Bull Terriers, Pitbull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Standard American Bully, Pocket Bully, and/or any mixed breed wherein the breed is aforementioned.

Assistance Animal Policy

Assistance Animal An assistance animal is not a pet. It is an animal that works, provides assistance, or performs tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, or provides emotional support that alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability. Assistance animals perform many disability-related functions, including but not limited to, guiding individuals who are blind or have low vision, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to sounds, providing protection or rescue assistance, pulling a wheelchair, fetching items, alerting persons to impending seizures, or providing emotional support to persons with disabilities who have a disability-related need for such support. (U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, n.d.)
Request for Reasonable Accommodation Any applicant with an assistance animal must fill out HPM’s Request for Reasonable Accommodation ( download and print the form or available upon request) and provide the following: a letter from a medical professional, a picture of the assistance animal, the breed, the age, and the weight.
Restricted breeds A request for a reasonable accommodation may be denied if providing the accommodation is not reasonable – i.e., if it would impose an undue financial and administrative burden on the housing provider (U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, n.d.). The homeowner will need to contact their insurance company to verify if there are any breed restrictions. Applicant’s request may be denied based on individual homeowner’s insurance policy. Applicant may also be required to obtain separate insurance for their assistance animal.

Criminal Categories

Click on each section below for more information or download the Criminal Categories.

Denied Criminal Offenses

  • Drug trafficking/ manufacturing – Heroin, methamphetamine, prescription, other hallucinogens, etc. (excluding marijuana)
  • OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) – Terrorist Watchlist
  • Other crimes against persons – Assault, harassment, domestic violence, kidnapping, child abuse, endangerment
  • Other crimes against society – Solicitation, prostitution
  • Sexual offenses – Rape, sodomy, child abuse (sexual in context), indecent exposure
  • Sex Offender Registry – A record of persons that have been convicted of a crime that qualifies under the specific state’s Sex Offender laws.
  • Violent offenses – Murder, non-negligent manslaughter, aggravated assault, forcible rape, breaking and entering, robbery

Criminal Offenses to be Reviewed by HPM

  • Alcohol offenses – Open Container, underage consumption
  • Criminal mischief – Public intoxication, disorderly conduct, threatening or resisting an official
  • Dishonesty/ fraud – Non-financial fraud/falsifying, false reports, perjury, identity theft, tax violations
  • Driving under the influence offenses – Heroin, methamphetamine, prescription, other hallucinogens, etc. (excluding marijuana)
  • Drug possessions
  • Financial non-violent offenses – Embezzlement, money laundering, blackmail, bribery,
  • bad/worthless checks
  • Marijuana possessions
  • Marijuana trafficking/ manufacturing
  • Non-violent offenses – Court issues (failure to appear, parole or probation violations), refusing to submit to testing, familial support violations
  • Other crimes against property – Animal cruelty, larceny, theft, burglary, arson, vandalism, graffiti, criminal trespassing
  • Other drug offenses – Possession of drug paraphernalia
  • Weapons offenses – Brandishing, concealed/carry violations, illegal possession